Starting your day with lukewarm lemon water is one of the best things you can do for your body. Lemons are loaded with vitamin C, B, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, enzymes, antioxidants, and fibers. Next to adding a host of healthy nutrients, it also kick-starts digestion, boosts the immune system, fights inflammation, and hydrates and energizes the body.
To make this healthy morning habit even better, I recently started to add turmeric too. In addition to getting the amazing benefits of lukewarm lemon water, turmeric will turn it into a nutrient-dense, cleansing energy bomb to fly through your day.
What turmeric-lemon water can do for you:
- Boost anti-inflammatory properties of lemon water. Curcumin, or turmeric’s active compound, is a potent anti-inflammatory compound which matches the effectiveness of many over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Improve brain power. Lemons are an excellent source of brain-boosting potassium and magnesium, while turmeric has been found to reduce the risk of cognitive disorders such as dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- Antioxidant activity. Both lemon and turmeric possess strong antioxidant activity to keep your skin in perfect condition and keep tumors at bay.
- Improve digestion. Eating or drinking turmeric on a daily basis stimulates the gallbladder, reduces bloating and gas, and prevents inflammation of the digestive tract, while lemon juice helps to loosen and flush out toxins from the digestive system.
- Heart-friendly. Curcumin reduces LDL (or bad) cholesterol, prevents blood clotting, and removes plaque build-ups in the arteries.
- Weight-loss aid. Lemons stoke the metabolic fire, which helps you to burn more calories from the food you eat.
- Cleansing properties. Lemons and turmeric stimulate your liver to produce more enzymes. It enables the liver to work more efficiently in eliminating toxins and waste materials.
Turmeric-lemon water recipe
- 1 glass lukewarm water (nut milk works too)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Juice of ½ lemon (or 1 lime)
- Pinch of black pepper (to increases turmeric’s bioavailability)
- Honey or maple syrup to taste (optional)
- A pinch of cinnamon (optional: for extra anti-diabetic effect)
Add lemon juice, black pepper, turmeric, honey, and cinnamon to a glass of lukewarm water. Drink first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for the best energizing effect. Stir constantly while drinking to avoid all turmeric to sink to the bottom of the glass.
Please follow and like us: